The latest project is to create an Audio Podcast.
I have chosen to create a Podcast aimed at beginners to explain the basics of photography.
This is going to be an interesting challenge as Photography is obviously visual and I will need to explain clearly for audio purposes only.
Also, to make it more interesting I will add some music and atmosphere sounds to enhance the podcast.
I am currently mixing some simple tracks in Adobe Audition 3.0 and also Acid Pro 7.
I have libraries of loops and instrument sounds to help with this.
The end results though should not be overpowering or interfering with the spoken word so I wont be putting a symphony together!
Once these are completed, I will head into the recording studio to record the podcast.
Once I have the pieces I will then update you on how the final editing is going.
Hi Darren,
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read your blog I'm reminded of how you're coming at this course from a totally different perspective. Acid Pro? Adobe Audition? Library of sounds? Recording studio? Wow. All tools of the trade I suppose. I spoke into my laptop in my bedroom and used Audacity. I considered using music in mine, but decided against it in the end as I felt it would genuinely add nothing to my particular recording.
I thought about this for a while actually, and realised that were I to include music, it would only be to impress the module instructor with my tech skills. I wasn't sure that this would be a legitimate reason for putting it in, and, in the end, it's just my voice.
I'd love to hear yours when it's done if you're agreeable to that. I'd like to listen to a podcast made by a professional instructional designer.
Hi,
ReplyDeletesometimes I wonder whether to mention the applications and equipment I use on a daily basis.
I decided I would, simply to give an idea of what I do use from day to day.
I fully understand that a lot of people would not have access to the technologies I use but, going back to my previous posts, it is not the technologies you have but how you use them.
There is nothing wrong with using a laptop computer for recording audio. Today laptops have pretty good audio cards, and combined with a good microphone will produce excellent results.
I'm just used to using Adobe Audition, Acid Pro, and on some occasions, depending on the project, I will use Pro Tools.
Just remember, do not accept the first recording you do, it normally takes a few attempts to get it right.
Yesterday I spent 5 hours recording a voice over with a trainer, we got 2 hours of usable audio, all this to get only 15 mins of final output.
Practise the script out loud, and do edit a re edit the script until you are happy with it and you are familiar with the flow of the script etc. It makes it more natural on the final recording.
That's a really good tip Darren. Do you tend to read your entire script right through in one go, or do you tend to stop every minute or so and then merge files at the end?
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteLarge scripts are split into more managable pieces.
There is nothing worse than recording a piece and after 5 minutes a mistake is made. Sometimes re recording is quicker than editing it out.
The less editing the better, but I tend to break them up into small sections, record several of each section ( part_1_take _1 etc)and stitch the best ones together seamlessly.
That's what I did too. Thanks again - this has been informative!
ReplyDelete